Apr 10, 2009

Zombie Cheerleading Camp (2008)


Buy it now at Amazon.com!!

I promised more reviews this year, and that’s what I intend to do, even though I’m off to a very slow start. So, to get back into the swing of things, I requested a copy of Zombie Cheerleading Camp. Not to be confused with Zombie Cheerleader Massacre, or Cannibal Cheerleader Camp, although of similar subject matter.

Three chicks get a flat tire on their way to cheerleading camp, and of course, there’s no cell phone signal. Lucky for them, three dudes come along and offer their help, getting them to their destination, and promising to fix the tire later. We notice almost immediately what the camp has to offer: an overbearing coach, her overzealous gay son (the best male cheerleader ever), a gay chef, and a perverted caretaker.

While "the dudes" are on their way to a fishing hole, one gets attacked by what appears to be a rabid squirrel. Thinking it was just a fluke occurrence, and only later realizing it’s magnitude, they bandage the wound and continue with their day. They run into the same chicks later, who just got through swimming (skinny dipping), and make plans to hook up that evening for blunts and brews. A little bedtime fun occurs, and one chick is bitten, thus starting the zombie onslaught. One cheerleader infects another, then the caretaker, and on and on. You can pretty much guess how the rest of the story goes, so I won’t regurgitate details you’ve seen before, but will say, that even though there’s really nothing new here to the zombie genre, there is a decent kill scene with a chainsaw, a set of boobs (same girl numerous times), and campy humor, including a funny scene with a chick playing with a severed head.

You can definitely tell that ZCC's creators are fans of the genre, but a major flaw is in the fluctuation of the audio, which jumped from, Shit, where’s the earplugs?, to Where’s my hearing aid? Other than that, it offered a nice dose of decent looking chicks (in and out of cheerleading attire), a nice helping of blood and gore, and a few laughs, even though more boobs could have been thrown in for good measure (I’m a perv, I know).

On a side note, I found it quite interesting that although I was approved for a screener, before shipping it, I was sent a short questionnaire in order to make sure I was in the "right viewing audience" and wouldn’t hammer them on the review. I totally understand, having been involved in a very, very low budget zombie film myself (Undead on Arrival), but hey, not everyone is going to like your film, and any publicity is good publicity. But, here’s what I was asked, and if you’re interested in my answers, just let me know:

a.. How old are you?
b.. Are you sensitive to gay humor?
c.. What is your favorite Troma movie?
d.. What is your favorite funny film?
e.. What is your favorite low budget film?

For fans of indie movies, and more specifically low budget zombie flicks, this one’s for you. Granted, there are a slew of them out there, but Jon and his crew at JAF Productions, have a finished product they can be proud of, and it's sure to gain a following. Jon, thanks for sending me a copy, and I look forward to your next film.

ACTING --3-- HUMOR --2--
BLOOD/GORE --3-- NUDITY --2--
ZOMBIE-RIFIC --2-- TROMA-ESQUE --4--
OVERALL RATING

--2.5--

No comments: