Nov 10, 2011

Free stuff I've won


What’s better than cheap shit? Free Shit. And, I sure do like winning, especially when it’s horror DVDs and such. I've had a fairly lucky streak over the past couple years, so I wanted to share with you some of my wares.

My latest win is from The Jaded Viewer, who I’ve drawn wisdom, humor, and inspiration from for several years now. Trying to get rid of some of his garbage movie screeners, he held a contest, and in order to be entered, all you had to do was leave a comment. Well, my comment won ("Even if you win a lump of shit, you’re still a winner"), and I got to choose from Ferocious Planet, Savage County, or After Dark Film’s Fertile Ground. I’d already seen two of the three, and didn’t have any interest in Ferocious Planet, so I chose to revisit Fertile Ground. So now, I sit here holding it in my hands as if it were my precious. I'd like to thank the Jaded one again for his hospitality, and please check out his site.


Earlier this year, from Dollar Bin Horror, I won a copy of the Stull DVD (a short movie about the supposed Gate to Hell located near Lawrence, KS), and a Michael Jackson Thriller Comic shirt.



My name was even announced on their radio show a little past the 57:40 mark, and can be heard here. You may need to watch the stupid commercial and let the file load for a minute before you can get there, but yeah, I played it back several times, just to hear my name (I'm egotistical like that).

A couple of Christmases ago, I won a copy of the Silent Night, Deadly Night 3-5 movie collection from Freddy In Space.


You've heard about his blog on here before, and if you haven't started frequenting it, you should now. When asked, "What’s the scariest thing about Christmas?", I said, “A zombie baby Jesus.” And eureka, out of 109 other comments, mine won. For once, my wit earned me more than a punch in the face or a kick in the nads.

A month or two before that, I won the Late Bloomer DVD from Fangoria magazine, but still have yet to watch it.


And, while it wasn't really won, but rather requested, Dr. Terror was nice enough to send me a pair of his exclusive 3D glasses, so I could view his 3D post. I already had a pair that would've worked, but wanted to be part of the "in" crowd, so I asked if he'd send me a pair, and he didn't even hesitate. I didn't have to say the secret word, do the handshake, take a beatdown, or anything. And, thanks to Freddy in Space for sharing the link, otherwise I wouldn't be a part of the 1%ers. Dr. T has some creative thougths and ideas, and also writes for the Blood Sprayer, so be a kind fellow (or lady) and follow his blog.

So, I guess all the time I’ve wasted on reading blogs and tinkering on the internet has really paid off. I also can’t forget those who have sent me screeners for review. While I know I still have some to watch, I thank you for having faith in my abilities, and taking time out of your busy schedules to send them. Also, a big thanks to my industry connections, who have sent me stuff over the years: Tony (Xploited Cinema), Kathy (Koch/eOne), Tony and Kim (Ryko/ADA/WEA), Terry (Magnolia Pictures), John (Hastings Ent.), Strand, Hart-Sharp, Alternative Cinema, Ariztical, and Wolfe. All of you have contributed to the success of this blog, and helped make my movie collection even more insane than I could have imagined.

And, as if I didn't have enough movies already, if you know someone who has a film (short or long) they’d like reviewed, just let me know. While my reviews and interests may seem a bit jaded, I’ll watch about anything, and the crazier the better. That's what makes being a part of the Side Show so much fun! Thanks to all who read this, and for Christmas I'm not asking for money, just pay it forward and tell a friend about this site. But if you must, gifts are always welcomed and appreciated. :)

No comments: