Nov 17, 2011

There's something peculiar about Nude Nuns With Big Guns (2010)


Putting remakes aside, have you ever looked at the artwork for a new movie and thought, I've seen that before? I'm sure you have, especially in the last few years, as marketing depts are lazy these days, and just rehash images to suit their needs. I recently had a light bulb experience when I saw the coverart for Nude Nuns With Big Guns, which will be released by Image Entertainment on February 14, 2012. So, what did it look like? Kevin Smith's Red State.


It shouldn't be a surprise, but I was a bit stunned by how similar they look. Sure, one has some chick looking up into the heavens and the other has a nun who's nodding in prayer, but both have a big ass gun, and neither look too shy to use it. And, is it mere coincidence that both stories have a religious base? I’m sure one can find more instances of artwork like this (chicks embracing high caliber weapons), but this seems a bit blatant on Image's part, seeing that Red State was released here in the states first. Now, Nude Nuns was actually released first, overseas, but with different artwork.


I could be totally off base in thinking that Image ripped off Red State, as it may have been part of the international marketing campaign all along, but several websites had this picture when Image announced their release.


All three, a bit different in significant ways, yes! Anyway, Nude Nuns With Big Guns is the second feature from Joseph Guzman, who brought us Run! Bitch Run!, which I unofficially proclaimed as 2009's Movie of the Year. Now, I failed to give Run! a proper review, but it was the holidays, and I was knee-deep in retail hell, so please forgive me. It's one I need to re-watch, then maybe I can give it the dues it deserves.

If you want to pick up Nude Nuns before the pack (like I did), head over to Amazon and get an import region free Blu Ray for about what the U.S. release will cost on Valentine's Day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one of the producers of "Nude Nuns With Big Guns" I can say that we did NOT copy the RED STATE poster. Attached is a link the the cover of the Hollywood Reporter dated 11/3/10 with the same picture of the Nun with the gun. Hope this clears up any confusion.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=159166637452008&set=a.155639614471377.24719.115619518473387&type=3&theater

K-Fleet said...

Thanks for clearing that up! Knowing some of the blunders Image has made in the last year, it was just a general comment made after seeing the artwork. I know sometimes marketing groups take over and make changes to suit their liking, which is usually the uncreative lazy route. But, I do have high hopes for the film and already bought a copy, so that's what counts.

-K-Fleet

bananabones said...

How can i email you? I would love to send you some things for potential blog content and link swaps...cheers
Anna

K-Fleet said...

bananabones: Just click the profile link on this comment to get the info. Thanks for reading, and please don't spam me. :)

-K-Fleet