Jan 6, 2010

Is Warner Brothers' the Devil?


The holidays were a little brutal, so I got behind on video business news, but just read on Mya Communications blog, that in December, ADA (Alternative Distribution Alliance) was merged into WEA distribution, another facet of Warner Brothers' Entertainment.

If you remember earlier in the year, Ryko Distribution was absorbed into ADA (read here), and I lost a great partner, Tony, due to that. Well, Tony kindly gave my info to Jay at ADA (who I guess just got disposed of during the recent merger), and he passed me onto Kim. Kim's a great guy, lives in Washington, is an Aussie (a nod to my bro), and has sent me many promos in the short time I've known him, including my first Blue Underground Blu Ray, The New York Ripper, which I still need to watch. Luckily, he will keep his job, but will be handling Amazon's account, and I will be passed onto someone else, who I can only hope will be as generous. The industry I love is ever so changing, and I have yet to determine if it's for the better. I guess as long as the releases keep coming, then that's what matters, but I often wonder what my own future and career aspirations hold as consolidations and downsizing are common place.

I know it's all about business, but Ryko/ADA have the top indie releases, and if they shutter, or continue to get stong-armed by "The Man," we can kiss any future releases and lost gems from the Italian and Spanish greats goodbye. Since it all boils down to money, it's our job as horror, erotica, and weird cinema fanatics to keep the dream alive by buying and supporting releases from Severin, Blue Underground, Mya, Mondo Macabro, Troma, etc. So, come on fans and fellow bloggers, we can't let The Devil overtake us (even as fun as it may sound to some).

Coming in January:
From Mya Communications-
Desirable Teacher
Sex Advice
Hunchback of the Morgue
Lady Medic
Blade of the Ripper
Human Cobras
Cricket

From Scorpion Releasing-
Goodbye Gemini
Doctor Death

From Troma, Impulse, Liberation, and Blue Underground-
Troma S War
Toolbox Murders (Blu Ray)
Schoolgirl Report 6
House on Sorority Row

February:
The Alcove
Poultrygeist (Blu Ray)
Schoolgirl Hitchhikers
I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle
The Crazies (Blu Ray)
Taxi Driver
Car Cemetery
The Fiend
and many more...

No comments: