Aug 12, 2011

A final farewell to Xploited Cinema



By reading my blog, you've heard me mention Xploited Cinema many times, and know how much I loved this company. I credit them for not only having a great site, selection, and customer service (Tony Simonelli is an excellent businessman), but for opening up my eyes to world cinema, and nudging me to get an all-region DVD player, so I would not miss out on these classics. He first introduced me to Andreas Bethmann (Existus Interruptus 1&2, Rossa Venezia), Toe Tag Pictures (August Underground, Redsin Tower (where IMDb credits him as an executive producer)), my first Karim Hussain DVDs (Subconscious Cruelty, Ascension, and now Hobo With a Shotgun), and I got the wickedest Texas Chainsaw Massacre ever released, a 2-disc PAL DVD that just screams bloody goodness.

Image courtesy of Freddy in Space and Import Films

After having been a loyal shopper for a couple years, I approached Tony about being an affiliate site, where he would provide movies, either at a discount or for free, and I would write a review and link his site, to which he obliged. But sadly, it was a short-lived venture, because a couple of months later, he announced he would no longer be adding any new titles, and would be selling through his existing inventory, eventually shuttering the website and moving onto other things. I was such a fan that I asked if he was interested in selling his site and inventory, but he was not, fearing that the business he poured his heart, soul, and money into, would not be ran with the same vigor. I was crushed, thinking that this was finally my escape from my current job, and I was even willing to take a jaunt to Ohio to see his operation, considered moving there if it panned out. But, it was his baby, and although it was a huge letdown, I understood, so I asked his words of wisdom on getting into the business, and he said to start selling on E-bay, build a name for myself, and then branch out from there. He said he started his business by investing $1000, and after that, he never had to take out a line of credit, but just re-invested his earnings back into it. Eventually, he built such a strong brand, that he blew away every other site on the web (those were my words).

So, now that it's August 15th, 2011, Xploited may disappear from the interweb forever, running one last sale to liquidate it's merchandise. If you haven't been there in a while, never been there before, or threw your last shovel load of dirt on it's coffin long ago, please take one last gander at what the site has to offer. And, may visions of Xploited Cinema (and sugarplums) dance in your head forever.

Tony, I personally want to thank you for always being a true and trusted salesman, running a great site, and opening my eyes to movies I may have never ran across. I wish you all the luck in your future endeavors, and I want you to know that although it never became my reality, I would have done the Xploited name proud, and I can only hope that other sites have used your business model and motto as their inspiration.

For those now pining over where to get your DVD and obscure cinema fix, please visit Diabolik DVD, as they now have the business of genre cinema on lock.

No comments: