Aug 15, 2011

Was The Ward set up to fail?



I use this platform to not only praise things I think are great, but to rant when I see injustices in the horror industry, or after watching poorly made movies. While I was looking at this week’s circulars for Best Buy, Target, and a couple others, I saw no mention of John Carpenter’s The Ward. Now, I haven’t seen this film, but it’s been on my watch list for several months now, and I intend to this week. So, why does this title not deserve any press? Is it because it wasn’t picked up by a major studio and is being released by Arc Entertainment (who the heck is that)? Further research finds Arc Ent. to be a small distribution company based out of Santa Monica, CA, with their most notable titles being the Dragon Dynasty series, which you can find at your local Walmart. Come on (big studio) guys, this is the man that brought us Michael Myers, The Thing (remake), They Live, The Fog, etc. And, with Amber Heard’s recent fame, why can’t these titles get any major promotion outside of the indie scene?

Amber Heard in Mandy Lane

Now granted, The Ward has been awarded an actual release, unlike All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, but it’s like you either already know about it, or it was set up to just creep under the radar, maybe never being discovered by those who don’t shop outside of the major outlets. I have nothing against Best Buy or Target, other than them constantly dwindling their selection, or being out-of-stock on a featured title, but I also find it disheartening to see one of the Masters of Horror’s most recent projects sink into obscurity. I guess it could’ve been a failure of Arc’s marketing team by not pushing big-box retailers to feature it (by giving them discounts in order to sell it cheaper), but if it was simply the retail buying gods passing on this title because it wasn’t “big enough,” then they need to be slapped. While I’m sure Best Buy will have some copies available for purchase, and something tells me it'll be on Walmart's shelves too, the best deal I’ve found is on Amazon, where it's $15.99 on DVD or $17.99 on Blu-Ray.

And, even though I’m really looking forward to seeing this title, and know it's anticipated on other horror blogs too, like Freddy in Space, I sure hope Mr. Carpenter hasn't lost his touch after sitting out of the full-length feature game for 9 years (since Ghosts of Mars). So, once you’ve seen it, feel free to leave a comment, so we can share in it's praise...or misery. On a side note, while I liked Stake Land, I wasn’t blown away by it, but would still pick it up for around ten bucks (on Blu-Ray). Next week, it’s onto Bereavement (the prequel to Malevolence), another highly anticipated title, that is, unless you’re torn on whether you should add Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil to your horror collection. Heck, Leprechan went to the hood (twice), so why can’t they? Oh, I think that’s a different hood they’re referring to. Ha ha!

No comments: