Jun 3, 2009

13 Days of Friday the 13th


So, the Side Show Reviewers have taken on the feat of attempting to review every Friday the 13th movie over the next 13 days, ending on June 16th with the remake/revisioning (Friday the 13th (2009)). Quite a task, yes, impossible, no, plausible, well ummm, we'll see.

All three of us have a fondness of Jason Voorhees, and I'd have to trace mine back my to when I was around 10-12 yrs old. I remember renting Part 5 with my buddy, Scott, who I was staying the night with. We ordered pizza, popped it in the VCR, turned off all the lights, and shut the door to his bedroom. While it was playing, I crept out to go to the bathroom, and when I sneakingly tried to come back in, he got scared and started yelling, "Mom, Kris is trying to scare me." It was some funny shit that still makes me chuckle today, and it definitely sparked "a new beginning" in my fanship of Mr. Voorhees.

But, it probably wasn't until after I started rewatching them over the years, that I realized just how deep my interest (obsession?) was. Out of all of the other slasher genre killers, Jason reigned supreme. Freddy was funny at best, Michael was okay, but got a little boring, and Leatherface was cool, but after TCM3, I questioned where this story was going. Maybe it was my fascination of the hockey mask and/or machette, maybe it was his relentlessness to avenge his mother's death, or simply the creativeness in his emotionless killings, whatever it was, I'm not completely sure, but it seemed like Jason couldn't be stopped and it had me hooked.

So, over the next 13 days (or so), Stalls, Smokeskrene, and I will run down all the films in this franchise. Some reviews may seem more thorough as we each have personal attachments to certain ones, but don't get us wrong, we all love Jason and will try not to disappoint, but do have blasted day jobs to attend to ya know!! So, enjoy the next 13 days of the most world-renowned killer....

(And don't be surprised if you see one or two non-Friday the 13th titles thrown in, since we really are trying to get more posts up, and I have a lot of apologizing to do for lapsed reviews.)

No comments: