Jun 10, 2009

Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood


Buy it now!!

When the new Friday the 13th movie came out earlier this year, it seemed like the perfect excuse for me to go out and buy all the old ones. I had seen most of them yet I owned none. So I ran out and picked up the “From Crystal Lake to Manhattan” box set and then picked up the other 3 separately. I began to watch them over the course of about 4 or 5 weeks and loved it. Then the idea for this lead up to the new movie came about and we divided the films up. I got 6, 7, Freddy vs. Jason and the new one. I sat down to watch the movies and review. It was at this time I realized something. I freaking hate the 7th movie. Can’t stand it. I honestly think it’s one of the worst films in the series. So many people bash on “Jason goes to hell” and “Jason X” but did they ever watch this one? Anyway enough bashing, on to the review.

If you never saw the 6th film, just watch the first couple of minutes of the 7th one, it pretty much runs you through everything that happened. Great way of condensing about an hour and a half into 3 minutes. The film officially begins with a flashback of Tina, our main character. We quickly find out that she has telekinetic powers when she kills her dad. Back to present time we find Tina and her mom headed back out to Crystal Lake, in an attempt to figure out completely what is wrong with her with the help of her doctor, Dr. Crews. They don’t really get along that well and at one point Tina goes running out of the house and to the end of the dock. She uses her powers to wake up Jason, who immediately sets off. All that time under water has done wonders for Jason however, as his decayed suit and flesh makes for the most badass looking Jason yet in my opinion.

I’ve decided that the reason I don’t like this movie is the whole storyline and Tina. I understand that they did it to bring something new to the table, but for some reason I just don’t like the way they took it. Something about a psychic girl using her powers to fight Jason just sounds dumb when said out loud, how in the world did they ever get a green light to actually make this movie? And the ending, dumb is the only word I can think of to describe it. I won’t say anything to ruin it if you haven’t seen it, but just be ready to shake your head and be disappointed when/if you do watch it.

Also, where in the world does Jason get the 50 different weapons he uses during the film? He just randomly appears with one thing, then he has another, and another. At one point he walks out of the woods with a power saw on the end of a pole, granted it’s a really cool weapon to use. We never once see him really pick up a weapon, with the exception of an axe, he just appears out of the woods with them.

Also, random cat…..the hell? If you’ve seen this movie you know what I’m talking about, if not then go watch this movie and you’ll figure it out when it happens. Not sure if this is supposed to be a throwback to the second movie or what but either way it just didn’t seem to fit the flow of the movie.

Negativity aside, the movie does have some really cool things going for it. Tina’s visions of people dying were kind of sweet. I particularly like the one of her mom dying in the middle of the road she has while driving. This movie also has the coolest kill ever ala the sleeping bag death, nothing better in my opinion.

This movie also brought back nudity to the series, something that was oddly missing from the 6th one.

I also really like the character of Eddie. He’s the wannabe science fiction writer. Something about the scene where he wraps himself up in streamers and says something about Mummies in space just cracked me up.

ACTING --2-- HUMOR --3--
BLOOD/GORE --4-- NUDITY --3--
ENDING --1-- PLOT --1--
OVERALL RATING

--2--

No comments: